Snowgrrl was lucky to stay a few days at the Four Seasons resort in Vail, Colorado. We thought it might be helpful for our curious readers to peek into the luxurious resort through snowgrrl’s eyes. We evaluated the hotel based on the same criterion we used for the Vail Cascades and Westin Beaver Creek.
1. Staff attitude: Amazing. From the moment we entered the circular drive, the staff was extremely accommodating, coordinated, friendly and generous. Our ski and snowboard equipment was efficiently whisked from the trunk to the slopeside ski concierge without any explanation necessary on our part, other than answering a few questions about which days we’d be hitting the slopes. Quite a contrast from the confusion that ensued at the Westin in Beaver Creek. Late checkout to accommodate a quick shower after skiing and before heading back to Denver? No problem after the front desk staff was able to switch things around a little. Reservation at a popular restaurant? Got us right in after the concierge made a quick call to the staff there. The first night, we declined the turndown service but asked if the cleaning staff could just leave the chocolates. Our cleaning person didn’t have any on hand, but when we returned to the room later that evening, found a little box of truffles on the counter. The next day after skiing, we were greeted by some chocolate-dipped strawberries and marshamallows by the our fireplace.
Mostly, we LOVED the ski concierge! It was so convenient to have lockers with boot warmers, hot chocolate, morning and afternoon snacks just a few steps from Gondola One, and to store our equipment in our individual locker and avoid the hassle of getting everything ready in the morning. The ski concierge staff somehow remembered and greeted us by name each time we encountered them, and quickly got our equipment both ready for the slopes, and back to the valet the day we left. Inside the cozy ski concierge station, there was even an awesome staff person who unbuckled and pulled off my ski boots while I chatted with my friend! If we could take one aspect of the stay and keep it forever – we would have a Four Seasons ski concierge accompany us on every trip to a mountain destination.
2. Ease of getting to the slopes: The hotel is located approximately three blocks from Gondola One. This makes for a 5-10 minute walk through town, or if you are tired or lazy, the hotel’s shuttle drive will be happy to drop you off about 1/2 a block away from the lifts. We enjoyed the easy and pleasant walk.
3. Guest Room: Great! The fireplace in our room and chairs and table on the balcony made it cozy and comfortable. There was plenty of room in the oversized mountain-facing room for sleeping and a big leather chair to lounge in. The walk in closet looked sad with only a few days’ worth of clothes hanging there. Next time, we will have to stay for longer!
4. Hot tub/pool/spa area: The spa was a highlight, with separate men’s, women’s, and a co-ed lounge stocked with tea, fruit-infused water, dried and fresh fruit and nuts, reading material, and a fireplace that created a zen-like environment. There are various options including indoor and outdoor hot tubs, a steam room, dry sauna, and showers stocked with Zents products. Again, the only regret is that our stay was a bit rushed and we couldn’t stay there forever.
5. Apres-ski ambience: The hotel was decorated festively for the holidays and featured a fun Hanukkah candle lighting in a ballroom one night, and hosted the ski patrol winter party the next. The Remedy Bar on site seems to be a popular destination not just for guests, but also for other visitors and Vail locals looking for a comfortable place to rehash the day.
6. Fitness Area: Our visit was too short to take advantage of the hotel’s fitness areas. We did see one brave soul working out after a ski day and gave him two thumbs up. That’s dedication for you! The rooms were medium sized. One looked well stocked with cardio equipment and weight and the other looked like it would accommodate yoga or other fitness classes.
7. Accessibility: The hotel is conveniently located on the perimeter of Vail Village and is a short walk to restaurants, shops, or other attractions you may wish to visit. Or, just ask the shuttle driver to take you there!